Thursday, April 17, 2008

6th Grade - "Your Room" Assignment

Shel Silverstein wrote the poem "Messy Room." It goes like this:

Whosever room this is should be ashamed!
His underwear is hanging on the lamp.
His raincoat is there in the overstuffed chair,
And the chair is becoming quite mucky and damp.
His workbook is wedged in the window,
His sweater's been thrown on the floor.
His scarf and one ski are beneath the TV,
And his pants have been carelessly hung on the door.
His books are all jammed in the closet,
His vest has been left in the hall.
A lizard named Ed is asleep in his bed,
And his smelly old sock has been stuck to the wall.
Whosever room this is should be ashamed!
Donald or Robert or Willie or--Huh? You say it's mine?
Oh, dear, I knew it looked familiar!

This poem could have been written about my room! Your task for today is to construct a poem that describes what someone would see if he or she walked into your room. It should be descriptive! The more details you can provide, the better. Be sure to include one example of figurative language.

Happy writing!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM SO SPECIAL
THATS WHY GOD MADE ME THE BEST
I LOVE HIM VERY







SAMANTHA BREWINGTON 6TH GRADE,OMS

Anonymous said...

Juliette -

My room is nice
Reminds me of sugar and spice
If you walk in you would see
A pretty picture of me.

my room is big if walked in you not see one wig
i have a picture of chris brown and bowwow looking at them would want to make you cry now

Anonymous said...

The desk has papers all over it
some clothes are on the floor
my bed is all messed up
and i'm heading out the door
clothes are scaddered
and the hangers are everywhere
the headbans are falling down
the lotion is hiding somewhere
I can't find my jewlery
so my room is crraazzyy.
-timah

Anonymous said...

*Samantha*
My room is very small
I have pics all over the wall
My room is very hot
It has pink and green polka dots
I have a panake
And its pink and green
I have clothes all over the floor
All from expensive stores
I love my room
Sometimes everyday I have 2 use a broom

Samantha Brewington,OMS,6th grade

Anonymous said...

my room is very nice
in the summer its so cold in there
its fells like u can skate on ice
my room is pink and green
when u enter my room
it would make u scream
i really love my room
it is my best friend
i would always keep it tell the end
i love my room yes i do
do u love your room
as much as i do


ebone pattishaw oms 6th grade

Ms. Berkey said...

Tribute to Charlie and my bedroom:

There are dead plants on the windowsill
And a fat cat on my bed.
The cat's the one that killed the plants;
He has me seeing red!

He tried to eat their leaves, you see.
It's not like I don't let him eat.
I think he just likes to torment me -
I'd kick him out if he weren't so darn sweet.

There's cat hair on my pillow and floor
And sometimes it makes me sneeze.
I can't really deal with this anymore.
Does anybody want a cat? Please?

Anonymous said...

my room
all i got in my room is a bed
a computer table with on computer
of course i have a tv
two dressers,a closet
clothes on my small dresser
shoes all over the place
kayla.a.mclughlin

Anonymous said...

Taylor
My room is clean right now
last week it was dirty
the problem is im lazy
i would never invite my friends to my home.Shoes there,jeans there,bras there,it's craaaaaaaaazzzzzzzy.I never clean i guess i should learn how to.My bed is a mess, i didn't make it this morning.